Dating Old Canning Jars

I have a lot of old, vintage canning jars. I love the history they carry as well as their charm and character.

Dating A Canning Jar

While it is okay to use them for storage or even as a refrigerator container, you should never process old jars in a canner. The old glass can’t take the temperature change and might shatter – which would be such a shame. Plus, the old fashioned sealing method is not reliable. But vintage jars are great on your pantry shelf to hold grain, etc.

So if you have some old jars, how do you know their true age?

If you have a Ball jar, you can date most of them just by looking at the logo. Every few years, the Ball Manufacturing Co changed the logo and if you compare yours to a reliable chart, you know how old it is. All you need is a chart like the one below.

I found this great chart on Pinterest, but unfortunately, it had lost it’s original link to the source. But Thanks to Sean at PunkDomestics.com for sending me the link here: Go to THIS website for a TON of information on old Ball canning jars. A must read!  Just compare your logo with the ones below and you have a general idea of the date. There are a few other logos not shown here, but these are the most common.

Dating Canning Jars chart

PLEASE NOTE: I am getting a lot of emails and questions in the comments about the value of people’s jars. I’m not an expert in this area and I cannot tell you the value of your jar. Your guess is as good as mine.

I just love to collect them. Their value to me is sentimental.

If you have an old jar you want to sell, I suggestion you check on ebay to see what similar jars are selling for. Good luck!

• TeresaR June 11, 2012 at 7:03 am

This is the one cool new thing I’m learning today! (I hope I learn a few more new things…regardless, this would be the best thing I learned today.)

We never can in our old jars that we inherited from hubby’s dad, but now we can at least date them. Woohoo! Thanks!

• theresa June 11, 2012 at 7:07 am

You are welcome Teresa. It was so fun to see how old some of mine were. I need to check my mom’s. She has some REALLY old ones for sure.

• TeresaR June 11, 2012 at 6:29 pm

What were the ages of yours? I just checked 4 of ours, and three were in the 1922-1933 range, but one was in the 1910-1923 range. I love thinking about the women who did the canning with those jars. :)

• theresa June 12, 2012 at 4:41 am

I have one in the 1910-1923 range too Teresa! Very exciting. It is an amazing thing to think of all the use those jars had and the things those women put up back in 1922. That was real organic food. They would probably not believe that to grow and preserve real food like that now requires special effort and attention. To them…it was just food!

• Evelyn Nichols August 28, 2014 at 8:36 am

I will be 90 years old on Occtober 1, 2014 and I have a jar of pear preserves that my mother canned the day I was born. It is still sealed and the pears still have some liquid.

• Sean June 12, 2012 at 11:37 am

Hey Theresa — this has made the rounds a bit, but I think it’s important to note the source (http://home.earthlink.net/~raclay/DatingBalljars.HTML), where he expressly requests that people not just repost the image. I’m sure he’d appreciate a link back and props. Thanks!

• theresa June 12, 2012 at 11:55 am

Sean – Thank you SO much. I tried to follow back the links on Pinterest so I could give credit, but it only went to other blogs who said they got it off Pinterest. I could not find the original source! I am amending my post now. Thanks again for the heads up!

• Wanda August 23, 2012 at 5:31 am

I have a variety of canning jars and have LOTS of questions. Some are ATLAS jars. What can you tell me about them? If I were to put them (2 qt) in a garage sale, what could I fairly ask.

I also have some 2qt Ball jars with circles on the bottom and a it y circle with an A off set .there is also another A and a 4 near the bottom edge.

Is any of this important?

Wanda

• Rick Kulpa January 19, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I have a question about a mason jar that I have, from what I have seen about as to the year it might be from 1933 to 1960. It is larger then most I have seen, guess somewhere about 3 gal.

I can send pictures. I would like to know much money it could be worth.

My name is Rick, Kulparichard@gmail.com
    I live in AZ. Tucson

• theresa January 19, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Hi Rick,

I’m not an expert on the value of old canning jars. I am just a curious collector. I really don’t know how much your jar would be worth, but it sounds very unusual. Have you tried looking for a similar jar on ebay? Or maybe you could post your question on a canning/preserving forum?

I wish I knew where to send you, but I don’t! My guess is that a jar of that size would be very rare.

• Jamie Priest January 20, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Hello:
    I have a box of old jars. I have looked at your description of how Ball was written and I have one that is 1910-1923 and two are 1923-1933. Explain to me about the blue color vs clear and also the ones with wire closures vs screw tops.
    I also find these very interesting knowing that someone did can vegetables/fruit/meat in these and their family survived cold winter months off the food.
    Thanks,
    Jamie

• theresa January 20, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Hi Jamie,

I know what you mean! It is pretty amazing to hold that kind of history in your hands.

I’m sorry but I don’t know anything more about the colors or the closures. I’m not an expert. I just like to collect them for fun. Maybe you could google about the colors? I’m sure someone out there knows!

Good luck.
      t

• Ted Shideler January 22, 2013 at 1:45 pm

The natural color of glass, when blown, was aqua (due to the iron content in the silica used). Ball gradually refined this to a deeper shade of blue, called “Ball Blue” by collectors, which was phased out in the late 1930′s, other than some limited-edition sets produced in the 70′s and beyond. Clear jars from pre-WWI were made by using a compound to clarify them that, when exposed to years of sunlight, turned the glass an amethyst color. After the supply was disrupted in WWI, glassmakers used a different compound which tended to turn the glass a straw or honey color after prolonged exposure to sunlight. Glass manufacturers today have ways around this to achieve zero coloration.

Wire bail jars started going into production in the 1880s, and the tech was predominantly used with beer and liquor bottles. They were known as “lightning” jars because they were extremely easy to open- fast.

• Jamie Priest January 22, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Great information. I have some canning jars with the wire closure. What would this time be if you know? Also, what is a good reference to what these jars are actually worth. The Red book? Did not know wheather to pay the $40.00 to purchase it or not.
    Thanks again!!
    Jamie

• theresa January 22, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Hi Jamie -

I am no expert. I just came across the info in this post and shared it because I have a few old jars myself. According to the comment above yours, the wire bale jars went into production in 1880′s but I have absolutely no idea when they stopped making those.

Good luck!
      T

• Ted Shideler January 26, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Wire-bail styled-jars (made by Ball at least) stopped being made for canning use around 1962. Several limited-edition special runs have been made, starting with the bicentennial in 1976. The most recent run was made in the early 90′s, but made by one of several independent glass conpanies for Ball Corporation, as over the years they had eliminated the capacity to manufacture blue-tinted glass. These can be differentiated easily, as the words “not for home canning” will be embossed somewhere in the glass.

The patent date often found on many jars doesn’t refer to the age of the jar at all, it just refers to when the style of closure (zinc cap/wire bail, etc) was developed and registered.

It’s sort of weird that a 22 year old who has never canned knows this, but I work at the company which was spun-off when Ball exited the home-canning market (who now makes amd markets the jars), Jarden Home Brands. I have a pretty cool collection of vintage jars too- from 1892-1930′s, mostly. Hope this info is mostly informative!

Also, the Red Book is a good source but you might be better off looking at eBay Buy-it-now or auction prices. This is what we mostly do in the office as we don’t keep track of jar value officially.

• Kristen February 25, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I’m looking for a gift for a friend. Possibly a book about the history and worths of canning jars. Does anyone have a book they would recommend? Thanks for your help!

• Jeff April 5, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I have some half gallon and a few 1 gallon vintage canning jars. They are all clear and they all have zinc lids and 1 wire. Some of the half gallon jars have a texture in the glass at the top and around the lower couple of inches. I want to sell them, but have not seen any like them on ebay or any other site. Does anyone have any info. Thanks, Jeff

• Sonja May 7, 2013 at 1:10 am

Hi, I have an old Ball Jar, and was wondering if it’s worth. I can send you a pic, just reply with your email, and I’ll send a shot.
    Thanks

• theresa May 7, 2013 at 5:23 am

Hi Sonja,

I;m sorry, but I would have no idea what it is worth. Like you, I just like old jars. I am not an expert. I just wrote this post because I came across the info on how to tell how old they are. Maybe you can check on ebay.

• Sandra Sheppard June 5, 2013 at 9:34 pm

I have about twenty of my Great-grandmother, and my grandmothers Mason jars, so far, as I have checked; they are in the 1910-1923 years. I have always loved these jars. I thought the color was so pretty. I inherited my grandmothers jars; I purchased my great-grandmothers, jars from a family member. I am so thankful that I have the pleasure of owing them. Just think; Ball Mason Jars used by mother, and daughter; to me that is a treasure in itself.

• Janice Buselt April 27, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Theresa,
    My grandmother (b. 1900) was given a jar of jelly from my great-grandmother in the 1930s. Grandma gave the jar to me a number of years ago. I have kept it on a shelf and recently it was broken. The lid is marked ” the upress it cap” and is quite unique. I would love to replace the jar. Can you tell me anything about the jars these lids fit on?

• theresa April 28, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Hi Janice-

So sorry to hear that your beloved jar was broken. I’m sure it made your heart ache. I don’t know anything about those jars. I suppose you could look on ebay. I wish I could help you somehow but I am at a lose as well.

So sorry!
      t

• Nancy Parker April 30, 2014 at 7:16 pm

I have some old mason jars with a glass lid and a tin ring. Any idea how old they might be?

• theresa May 2, 2014 at 12:01 pm

I’m sorry Nancy. I don’t know. Wish I did. You might try looking on Ebay to see if you can find others like it. Good luck!

• Susan Brafford June 7, 2014 at 5:24 am

So happy to find this on the Ball jars, doing my grandmothers estate and we have close to 3 doz to sell, I have also found a lot of Old Atlas – Lamb & the Easy seal jars with wire locking glass lids. Is there a site that helps us determine age of these brand jars, if anyone knows or is interested in jars e-mail me at puppylove001@wilkes.net

• dorothy June 13, 2014 at 6:18 pm

I have a clear canning jar that says Patient D-87681 on the bottom and also Ball 30. It is not round like a lot of them ..kind of boxy. What is it worth?

• theresa June 13, 2014 at 8:59 pm

I’m sorry Dorothy. I have no idea. I just collect old jars for my own use. I am not an expert and I don’t know the values. Good luck in your search!

• Pamela July 13, 2014 at 5:52 am

I have a bicennial Ball mason jar, it has Virginia 1776-1976 a pic and says Mount “Vernon do you know anything about these jars were there more states I havent looked though all my old jars yet just run across this one

• Kate Moore July 29, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Hello jar lovers,

Does anyone know of charts, similar to the chart above for Ball jars, for other brands of canning jars?

• Jeanie August 10, 2014 at 11:03 am

I have found a Boya mason jar. Any idea who manufactured it?

• Stacey K September 6, 2014 at 1:44 pm

I just found a bunch of old clamp down jars in my basement from one of the previous owners. Checking from the chart you listed, it looks like it may be from the 1923-33 range. I also found a bunch of Atlas jars and some that are really pretty but have no name nor do they take a standard size lid, it falls in between a regular and a wide.

Thank you so much for posting this! I’ll mention your site in my blogpost on http://thefarmhouseinthefield.blogspot.com/when I talk about the jar discovery I found!
    I’m excited to have someplace where I can date these.

Stacey

Thanks!
    Stacey Keon

• Carl R September 24, 2014 at 8:11 am

I have a mason jar . Printed on it is Mason then it has CC then a large backwards J then a small backwards j then it says patent Nov 30 1858 do you or anybody you may know be able to get me more research on this ?